- Venue: Taipei Park (3/13-5/2, 2021). Free Entrance. Tue-Sun, 13:00-17:00. Registration mandatory on Sundays.
- Address: 2F, C Building, No. 207, Nanyang Street, Xizhi District, New Taipei City, Taïwan 221.
- Transportation: MRT Blue Line (Nangang Exhibition Center + Bus BL23 (stop at Pandisk Technology), Taxi (approximately 7 minutes from metro) or Youbike. Parking space available. Map
- Taipei Opening Event (Saturday 13th March, 2021)
- Exhibition Facebook Page
Cédric Alviani (Von Taipei)
A new tide of clandestine posters sweeps every day across the walls that frame the Parisian boulevards. Quickly outdated and quickly replaced, these colorful placards compete in a cacophony of exuberant slogans, singing virtues of the latest electronic gadgets, fashion brands and theatrical shows. Day after day, their voices and faces are superimposed with a thick layer of paper and glue, which swells and shrinks under the relentless pasting-ups and tearing-downs.
Washed out, soggy, warped by the sun and rain, torn and smeared by vandals, the pictures have become distorted as if seen through a prism of moving water. The fading of the yellows and magentas, mixed with traces of glue, form a foam and blue tint that deepens the impression of the marine landscape.
The degradation does not spare the characters whose lives are bound inside the images. Their elegance and sensuality, their joy for life, has given way to the bitterness and rage of the oppressed, to the despair of a drowning man. In this ocean of paper and glue, bodies and faces gasp for air, their drifting souls cry out to passers-by begging for help.
Uptown in the “City of Lights”, where the scent of urine often masks even the most poignant of chic perfumes, these incongruent scraps of consumerist society have taken on an element of subversion. The resilience of these paper ghosts create an echo of the innumerable homeless who, just as invisible but very much alive, line the walls of the Parisian boulevards.
In the far reaches of Cédric Alviani ’s visual universe, the worlds of Art Brut and urban poetry converge. This artist, who for two decades has divided his time between Europe and Asia, is also a familiar figure in the Taiwanese underground rock scene.
- Featured Artist: Cédric Alviani
- Organiser: Yunghe Arts Foundation
- Co-organiser: Taipei Park
- Partners: Alliance Française, infine
- Producer: Pei-Tseng Yang
- Curator: Chia-Han Chou